If you're building a new home, Cleco is eager to help you include energy-efficiency features that will save you money for years to come. Saving energy is important to your budget and the environment and that's why Cleco offers rebates and a discount on electric bills to customers who build Power Miser certified homes. Enjoy lower energy bills, enhanced safety for your family and greater year-round comfort in a Power Miser home.
Lower Energy Bills
A special 10% discount on your Cleco bills for energy used from November through April for the first five years you live in the home.
To participate in the Power Miser Home Program, your new home must be built to Power Miser Standards as listed below. For a PDF version of the standards, click here.
Standards for Qualification
- All space conditioning and water heating must be electric. Electricity must be provided by Cleco.
- Electric heating and cooling: Heat pump (SEER of 14 or greater) or high efficiency air conditioning (*SEER of 14 or greater) with resistance heat
- Electric heating and cooling: Ductwork fully insulated with branch duct R-6 and plenum R-4. If metal ductworks are used, install 2" of foil-backed or vinyl-backed insulation.
- Insulation with these R-Values: 1. Ceiling - minimum R-30 (R-21 acceptable if cathedral or vaulted ceiling; R-19 required in knee-wall area); 2. Exterior Wall Cavity - minimum R-13; 3. Floors (other than slab) - minimum R-13
- Seal pole plate, windows, doors and any other openings into conditioned space.
- Exterior doors with weather-stripping: metal insulated, solid core wood, fiberglass insulated, double-pane glass door
- Ventilation: Adequate attic ventilation utilizing ridge vent, wind or power turbine or gable vent and soffit vent
- Kitchen and laundry equipment: All-electric, although gas ranges are acceptable
Homes with distinctive features, and/or characteristics may qualify as Power Miser homes by meeting standards 1-4, and by having an acceptable cooling requirement (maximum Heat Gain, 16 BTU/hour per sq. ft of conditioned area).
* Only homes with heat pumps are eligible for rebates.
After your home is complete, you must submit a Power Miser Verification Form to receive the 10 percent discount on your Cleco bill. This form must be sent to Cleco within 60 days of home completion. A signature is required. Please print this form, fill it out and mail it to us at the following address:
Power Miser Home Program
P.O. Box 5000
Pineville, LA 71361-5000